Sunday, January 8, 2012

All Things Are Possible (Not Guaranteed) to Those Who Believe

Yesterday, my son-in-law’s dad passed away.
He had been battling with cancer for more than a year and from the beginning the prognosis was bleak. Over the months, many of Pete’s family and friends (myself included) believed that a miracle was certainly possible and began consistently praying for one. While Pete was getting chemo and other medically advised procedures done, we kept our minds focused on complete healing, believing that Pete would continue living a long, productive life, rather than accept that death was inevitable. For some, this belief was naive at best, laughable at worst. Why would any reasonable person believe that collective prayers lifted up to heaven on Pete’s behalf would have any effect whatsoever? Reality would indicate that cancer is cancer and the odds of beating it at stage 4 are next to zero. Why not just acknowledge the facts and enjoy the remaining days together in a realistic way?
Perhaps it’s because my mom was diagnosed with cancer of the spine when she was just 19 years old. My parents were engaged to be married at the time. Family and friends began praying for her healing every day. She had surgery, radiation, and other treatments, but the doctors still advised my dad not to go forward with their wedding plans because they said she would be gone within 6 months. Thankfully, he didn’t listen to this bad report! He and many others continued to pray. He married my mom anyway with the belief that she would be healed and they would live a long happy life together with their future children. Naive? Crazy? Laughable? Maybe to some, but not to me. It’s the reason my four siblings and I are here today.This year my mom turned 75 years old and all five of us kids and our families helped my parents celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary! How does this happened? How can a 19 year old girl go from being terminally ill with 6 months to live to being a healthy, 75 year old cancer free great grandmother?
Even more puzzling is why some like my mom live and some like Pete die. Both were surrounded by fervent, faithful prayer warriors. Both were good people, with amazing skills and talents, deserving of having wonderful long lives. Both were people of faith. Both were loved and cared for by committed family who believed with all their hearts that healing was completely possible. So why such different outcomes? Truthfully, I don’t have an answer. There’s no way for anyone to know the reasoning behind why horrible things happen to good people. It’s beyond our understanding as to why some survive, some thrive, and some die. Why did my nephew Matt at 23 years old have to suffer excruciating pain for 5 months before he finally died from the injuries he suffered while serving his country? Why are kids born with birth defects or why do teens suffer with such serious depression and chemical imbalance that they end up committing suicide~ even when parents are constantly praying for their protection, health, and well being? I wish I knew. I don’t.
Does that mean I should stop believing that healing is possible and give up believing in it? Is healing such a random occurrence that when it happens, it should be chalked up to good medical technology or good luck? And if prayer and belief are truly factors in healing, why don’t they always “work” so everyone can get the desired results? For me, belief is not something I hide behind or a way to close my eyes to reality. It’s not the name it and claim it formula I use to manipulate bad circumstances or to twist heavenly arms to get what I really want. Belief is seeing what is and knowing that what I see is only a small portion of reality. Science is wonderful, but it also has limits. Not everything can be proved or calculated! Belief is realizing that we don’t know everything. It’s choosing to press in and press on for something better, something more than I can presently see, hear, taste or touch. Belief is realizing that I am not the center of the universe and yet I don’t have to sit by idly and let circumstances dictate my reality. In the case of healing, it’s the confidence to keep on keepin’ on and hang in there until the last breath is taken, even if i look stupid to others who don't share my belief.
It’s the courage to pursue victory over the odds of failure instead of resigning myself to being a victim. It’s knowing that healing is possible, but not necessarily guaranteed; that I’m not responsible for the outcome, but only for my part in asking for it. I don’t know all the answers, but I do believe that prayer makes a distinct difference in bad situations. It also makes a difference in the attitude I take in facing life. So, the next time someone is ill, is given a poor prognosis, has a cold, a headache, or any other something that needs healing, I will be the first to offer up prayer and continue believing what I know to be true. All things are possible for those who believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment